June 13, 2008

Blogger: What a scare!

Phew! I have cause for a huge sigh of relief. For a few of days it has been impossible to read this blog - at least for some. (I'd like to know if you managed it anyway!) When I tried accessing the blog in FireFox a window appeared saying the URL wasn't valid and that viewing the page was impossible. However, when I clicked OK the page was shown anyway (?!). IE couldn't find it at all.

"I'll be doggone", I thought, "if I've gone and sabotaged my own blog!" Had I changed the code recently? No, I couldn't think of any changes. To understand the extent of my concern you have to know that I don't know how to write code. It is true that I have made several changes to the template over the years but they are all small steps one at a time done by trial and error, copying code from other sites etc.


Now, even though I was pretty concerned by this newly arisen predicament I didn't panic. I didn't go berserk deleting, changing code randomly. But I did finally - after scanning the code without finding any loose ends - delete a couple of page elements which were totally meaningless anyway and voilá! We are back!

Beware of the evil Wikipedia search widget!


Thanks to MrJ for the image!