December 28, 2008

Vintage Comics: That's the Spirit - Part 7


I had a very strong feeling, after seeing the trailer some months ago, that the movie The Spirit would be awful. It certainly didn't make me want to see it. It seems my feeling wasn't all wrong. And I bet I wasn't the only one.

The reception according to Wikipedia:
"The film has received generally negative reviews from critics. As of December 26, 2008, it has a 17% positive rating from 49 reviews on the movie-review aggregate site Rotten Tomatoes, the consensus being, "Though its visuals are unique, The Spirit's plot is almost incomprehensible, the dialogue is ludicrously mannered, and the characters are unmemorable". Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times said, "There is not a trace of human emotion in it. To call the characters cardboard is to insult a useful packing material"." (more...)

Try the comic books instead.
--

Be sure to check out all my other The Spirit (the comic!) posts!

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6 (the movie poster)

...see 'em all.

---