September 27, 2005

I Lost My Heart To a Starship Trooper




Just a little find from a second-hand shop I visited today. Sarah Brightman, aged 18, recorded this in 1978. It's standard disco - with notes from "Also Sprach Zarathustra" and the Star Wars score - definitely trying to ride the sci-fi wave of the time.

Oh Doctor Strange won't you be my lover?
You're the best thing that I've ever discovered
Flash Gordon's left me, he's gone to the stars
And evil Darth Vader he's been banished to Mars
Tell me, Captain Strange do you feel my devotion?
Or are you like a droid devoid of emotion?
Encounters one and two are not enough for me
What my body needs Is close encounter three!!

I guessed I wouldn't be the first one on the web to have spotted this - and I wasn't. Over here you can learn everything about the song; check out the different sleeves, read the fantastic lyrics, and look at still-frames from the video and also listen to a few seconds of the song. That's enough.


I would like to be able to digitize vinyl on other occasions. I have a few things I'd like to share. If anyone has any nice tips on how to go about it, technically that is, I would be grateful. I guess that what I need to know is: do I need any extra equipment, what cables and plugs do I need and if there's a simple free recording program out there, that you would recommend. And also, in these matters, please talk to me as if I was a child - I'm no "tech-guy".

---